The Revue Film Society Seeks Two New Board Members
The Revue Film Society, a federally-incorporated not-for-profit organization, which operates the historic 1912 Revue Cinema, is looking for two new members for its volunteer Board.
The Revue Cinema is a Toronto success story. In the 13 years since the theatre reopened after its previous owner disbanded, the Revue has become a vibrant cultural hub, attracting diverse cinema-loving communities from across the City.
Voted “Best Cinema” and “Best Independent Film Venue” in the NOW Magazine Readers’ 2019 Choice Awards, the Revue is becoming increasingly known for its specially-curated series which not only showcase interesting films but spark discourse through curator introductions and post-screening discussions.
As a member of the Board of Directors, you will have the opportunity to contribute to the growth and sustainability of an important Toronto cultural landmark and community hub.
Position Type: Unpaid Volunteer Position
Term: Three (3) years, starting November 2020
Time Commitment: Approximately 10 hours per month
Region: ON – Metro Toronto Area
Location: 400 Roncesvalles Avenue
Application Deadline: August 21, 2020, 6pm.
About The Revue
Mission: More than a cinema – cultivating community through film, artistic, and cultural experiences in the historic Revue Cinema.
Vision: Connecting community through film, arts and culture.
Tag Line: Projecting Every Possibility.
Key strategies for 2019-21:
- Expand and diversify our programming to broaden our audience while maintaining an excellent customer experience.
- Build a fundraising infrastructure for new revenue streams to support growth and capital requirements.
- Maintain the technology and building facilities to industry standards to ensure an excellent cinematic experience.
- Build a sustainable organizational structure by optimizing our human resources.
The Revue Film Society is a functional/working board. The Directors of the Revue Film Society are all volunteers.
The Board is expected to represent the Revue Film Society to the community and to advocate for the Revue Film Society’s mission, programs and services, as appropriate. The Board is also expected to play an active role in securing the financial resources necessary to achieve the Society’s mission.
The monthly time commitment is approximately ten hours a month, which includes a combination of preparing for and attending a monthly Board meeting and committee meetings, attending an annual retreat, and hands-on volunteer work such as supporting events and performing other operational tasks. Directors are expected to attend monthly Board meetings and to chair and/or sit on at least one board committee.
What we’re looking for:
We are looking for people who can bring skills and expertise in the areas identified below as well as a passion for our mission and time available to commit to our work.
As an organization that supports equal opportunity, we encourage applications from individuals who self-identify on the basis of any of the protected grounds under the Human Rights Code. Please feel welcome to disclose if you are a member of an equity-seeking group and/or member of an ethnic or racialized community.
We are seeking applicants of any age and career stage, ideally with experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Capital improvements/building engineering/architectural/heritage preservation
- Law/charitable organizations
In addition, the following are considered assets:
- Experience on a volunteer board or committee
- Financial management experience (ability to read financial statements, stats and data related to our operations)
- Strong networks and community connections
- Industry knowledge (film and events)
To be eligible to serve as Board Member, you must be:
- Minimum 18 years of age
- a member of the Revue Film Society (Interested applicants may become a member at the time of recruitment)
How to Apply
Please email your resume and a cover letter by August 21, 2020 @ 6pm to:
Chair – Governance Committee, Revue Film Society
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview to take place between August 31 and September 7.
In your cover letter, please tell us:
- Why are you interested in joining the Revue Film Society Board of Directors?
- In what areas identified by the Board (see page 2) can you best contribute?
- What other volunteer or community involvement experience do you have?
- What experience do you have participating on a committee or board or in another group decision making process?
The Revue Film Society is committed to developing inclusive and accessible volunteer practices and work environments. If contacted in regard to this opportunity, please advise our Screening Committee of any accommodation measures needed to enable you to be interviewed in a fair and equitable manner.
Please be assured that personal information will be held in strict confidence.
Application Deadline: August 21, 2020 @ 6.00 p.m.
We thank all candidates for applying. We’ll advise all candidates of the status of their application by September 7.